Vaginal candida, more commonly known as a vaginal yeast infection, is a fungal infection that causes discharge, itchiness, and irritation in or around the vagina. Yeast infections affect every three out of every four women at any point in their lifetime. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms below, please contact us for yeast infection treatment Los Angeles.
Yeast infection symptoms can be mild or moderate and include any of the following symptoms:
- Burning during urination or intercourse
- Vaginal irritation or itching
- Swelling and redness
- Vaginal rash
- Vaginal soreness or pain
- Watery discharge
- White, odor-free, thick discharge that looks similar to cottage cheese
Vaginal yeast infections are caused by the fungus candida. Your vagina has a natural, balanced mixture of yeast that includes bacteria and candida. When that balance is disturbed, yeast infections may follow. An overgrowth of yeast is what causes the above symptoms and can be a result of the following:
- Uncontrolled diabetes
- Oral contraceptives
- Hormone therapy
- An imparted immune system
Treatment will depend on whether you have a complicated or uncomplicated infection. If you are experiencing mild to moderate symptoms, it may be an infrequent, uncomplicated yeast infection. Your doctor may recommend:
- Non-prescription medication – An over-the-counter antifungal vaginal cream and suppository are an effective form of treatment for many women and are even safe to use during pregnancy.
- Single dose oral medication – Your doctor may prescribe Fluconazole, a single dose oral medication. If you have severe symptoms, you may be prescribed two single doses taken three days apart.
- Short course vaginal therapy – An antifungal medication, available as an ointment, cream, suppository, or tablet is available over-the-counter or by prescription.
If you are experiencing any of the listed symptoms, please contact us at (213) 261-4090 or schedule an appointment online for yeast infection treatment Los Angeles.