Genital herpes is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases in the United States. It is usually spread through sexual contact. After the introduction of the infection, the virus can be dormant in your body for several years before reactivating. Since it is caused by the herpes simplex virus, there is no cure but medications exist to help relieve the symptoms. If you have had unprotected sex, it is important that you get herpes testing Los Angeles to protect you and your partner.
Symptoms can often be so mild that they are overlooked. However, when symptoms do appear it is usually about two to twelve days after you have been exposed to the virus. Symptoms can include:
- Small red bumps
- White blisters
An initial breakout can include flu-like symptoms, like muscle aches, fever, headache, and swollen lymph nodes. Sores will appear in the area that the infection was introduced into your body. It is also possible for it to spread if you touch an area of your body with a part that came into contact with an infected person’s sore.
There are two types of herpes infections, which are:
- HSV-1 is the type of virus that causes the fever, blisters, or cold sores that appear around your mouth. This virus is spread when skin-to-skin contact is made.It can also be spread to the genitals during oral sex.
- HSV-2 is the virus that causes genital herpes and is spread during sexual contact, as well as skin contact. It is highly contagious and can be spread even when there is no open sore.
Since herpes is caused by a virus, there is no cure but antiviral medications can:
- Reduce the number of times breakouts occur
- Reduce the duration and severity of symptoms
- Help sores heal more quickly
- Reduce the chance of infecting another
If you have had unprotected sex and suspect that you may have contracted an STD, please call our medical facility at (213) 261-4090 or schedule an appointment online for herpes testing Los Angeles.